Thursday, April 17, 2014

Because of Him

Do you ever feel alone, like you are carrying a burden all by yourself? Do you ever feel as though nobody understands what you are going through? I think at times we all get these feelings of desertion and inadequacy; but we don't need to feel this. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ; His sacrifice in the garden of Gethsemene, and suffering on the cross, We do not need to feel this way, He can heal us. I know this because I have had the loving arms of our Savior stretched out to me, and have felt the love that He has to offer.



"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I am the life and light of the world." - D&C 11:28
God is our loving Heavenly Father. He loves us and wants us to be happy and successful in this life, and return to live with Him in the life to come. His plan included us gaining a mortal body, and coming to earth to be tried and tested, to prove ourselves worthy to return to Him. But being mortal presented a problem, we wouldn't be perfect and we would make mistakes. No unclean thing can enter the kingdom of God, thus, we would be unable to return if there was not a price paid for our sins. Jesus Christ, our brother, offered to suffer and die so that if we repented from our mortal ways and followed God, we could gain forgiveness of all that we had done wrong and would have the opportunity for eternal life. Jesus Christ did more than any one of us could ever have, and for that I will always be grateful.

How Can WE Feel This Love?

In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Alma taught perfectly what Jesus Christ did, and still does for us. He writes:
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which binds his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." -Alma 7:11-12
The life of Jesus Christ was an example to all. He lived to serve us and all of our brothers and sisters. A man of sorrows, being acquainted with grief. He had no home, no place to rest His head. He was despised and rejected of men, cursed at, spit upon. He suffered so that we might not drink of the bitter cup. Because of Him, we can be saved if we only repent and follow Him.

Jesus Christ is my Savior, Redeemer, older brother and best friend. He has stuck by me in the good times, and the bad. Because of Him, I am able to have peace and joy knowing that one day I will be with my Heavenly Father and all those that I love. If that is not enough, I don't know what is.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His kingdom once again established on the earth. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and testifies of Christ and His divinity as the Son of God. It is my personal witness and testimony that Christ lives. He lives and He loves each and every one of us. I will stand as a witness of Him at all times, and in all places, and in all things, even unto death. And even if I have to stand completely and utterly alone, for that is how He has always stood by me. Especially when He had to stand completely alone.

As we approach this Easter weekend, I pray that we may all take time and thank our Father in Heaven for sending His only begotten, to pay the price that nobody else could afford. May we remember the simple truth taught in this hymn: "Sweet the joy this sentence gives, I know that my Redeemer lives." I pray that the whole world may learn of this truth and find the joy that comes from embracing His gospel. In the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

-Elder Benjamin H. Cullen

No comments:

Post a Comment